Friday, June 5, 2015

A Great Programming Question

I received this via email yesterday and thought I’d share it. I’m in the process of writing a second edition of Functional Training for Sports ( my first book in 2004) and will clear stuff like this up…

Hey, Coach!- I’m designing my first strength program and had two questions for you:

Q 1) I am using your template for a 3-day strength program from Functional Training for Sports, and it calls for Double Leg Knee Dominant exercises on Day 1 and Day 3. I am much more in favor of single leg exercises, and there’s no shortage of Single Leg Knee Dominant exercises, so I wanted to know if substituting the double leg exercises for a Rear Foot Elevated Squat and a Split Stance Squat Progression would be okay? I remember reading that you were slowly progressing towards an ALL single leg training philosophy, but didn’t know if you had attempted it with any success yet. I am a track and field athlete, if that would make any difference in the matter.

A- We have not gone quite all the way yet with healthy athletes. Day 1 has Trap Bar Deadlift ( actually a hip dominant or hybrid) as our only bilateral strength exercise of the week.

Leading me into my second question…

Q 2) In your Advances in Functional Training, I recall you classifying Lunge-type exercises as Hip Dominant, although it can be confused with a Knee Dominant exercise very easily. If I were to use Lunge-type exercises as a Knee Dominant exercise in my program, would I risk under training a true Knee Movement, or would it not be an issue? (Didn’t quite know how to word that one )

A- Almost true. We would classify slideboard lunge as hip dominant but conventional lunges as knee dominant. I would not worry about being too hip dominant if you get Rear Foot Elevated One Leg Squats and true one leg squats once each.

Thoughts? Comments?

 




from Michael Boyle's Strengthcoach.com Blog http://strengthcoachblog.com/2015/06/05/a-great-programming-question/
Visit Us At:

ScottsdaleSportsMedicine.net

Scottsdale Sports Medicine

via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment