Saturday, April 2, 2016

Don’t Look Into My Window (until you talk to me first)- Guest Post

Here is a free article on StrengthCoach written by Strength Coach Podcast host Anthony Renna.  It’s a good counter point, one that goes back to the old “Once you actually know the rules, you can break a few.”

Don’t Look Into My Window (until you talk to me first)

“I often ask coaches or trainers to visualize a prospective athlete or client simply watching a workout through a window.  No sound, just the visual.  Are they impressed?  This is the mirror and the window.  Coach like people are always watching and like it’s a direct reflection of your skills.”  Michael BoyleDesigning Strength Training Programs and Facilities   

This is certainly great advice from Coach Boyle.  I always have it in the back of my head as I train and coach my clients.  One of the core values at Five Iron Fitness is “Complete Focus” and this is perfectly in line with the idea of “Coach like people are always watching and like it’s a direct reflection of your skills.

But I also have a little bit of a problem with this idea.  I have a few clients who I would not want you to be watching…unless we spoke first.

Why?

Because they don’t always have the best form, even after training with me for 11 years

Because without truly understanding a person’s background, you can’t really understand their program.

Because if you don’t know that person’s injury history, you won’t understand why they aren’t doing certain exercises.

Because if you don’t know their personality, then you won’t understand why they can’t chew gum and foam roll at the same time. (literally)

Because if you don’t know that person’s goals, you can’t make a judgment about their “skinny fat” belly and say the program is not working.  Maybe they’re not here to get rid of it.

Because if you don’t know what is going on in their personal life, you can’t always understand their focus or effort.

Case Study

I train Stan Golden (76) with his wife 2-3x a week for the last 11 years.

Here is what an hour with Stan looks like:

Click here to read the rest of the article. You do not have to be a StrengthCoach.com member to read it, it’s in our Free Articles section.

 




from Michael Boyle's Strengthcoach.com Blog https://strengthcoachblog.com/2016/04/02/dont-look-into-my-window-until-you-talk-to-me-first-guest-post/
Visit Us At:

ScottsdaleSportsMedicine.net

Scottsdale Sports Medicine

via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment